Tewantin is a small village on the Noosa River and is the launching point for the vehicular ferry to Noosa North Shore, the Great Sandy National Park and Fraser Island.
Historic Tewantin was originally a timber town and the river port for the Noosa area. Today Tewantin is the administrative centre for the Noosa region and is home to shops, cafes, a hotel and Noosa Marina.
Things to do
Things to do
- Wander along the natural streetscape of Poinciana Avenue, a pedestrian-friendly area with a range of shops, banks and restaurants. Call in to see the latest local and travelling exhibitions at The Noosa Regional Gallery, located by the river on the ground floor of the council chambers building.
- Discover Tewantin’s history by visiting the friendly volunteers at Parkyn’s Hut information centre on Poinciana Avenue who will help you make the most of your stay.
- For some great views of the Noosa River, relax and enjoy a picnic at Memorial Park or head to Noosa Marina, a bustling complex on the river where you can enjoy coffee, a cool drink, alfresco lunch or evening meal with river views. The 40-berth marina also has specialty shops and each Sunday, the Noosa Marina Markets set up craft and produce stalls on the boardwalk.
- Deep sea and river fishing charters, cruise and tour boats, self-drive hire boats, the Noosa Ferry and houseboats all dock at the marina and can be booked on location at the Visitor Information Centre in the marina.
- Just a few minutes out of town is Tewantin National Park, with picnic areas, walking and bike-riding tracks, horse-riding trails and an easily accessible track to the top of Mt Tinbeerwah, with magnificent ocean, lake and hinterland views.
Tewantin is located about 10 minutes drive from Noosa Heads or take the Noosa Ferry to Noosa Marina and walk along the river to Tewantin.
- Visit Noosa Marina as you cross the bridge to Tewantin, with riverfront restaurants, cafes and bars; beauty treatments, homewares, gifts, fashion and art
- Stroll through the Noosa Marina Markets on every Sunday morning with craft, produce, art, live music and more
- Noosa Regional Gallery hosts travelling exhibitions from around Queensland and Australia
- Memorial Park overlooks Noosa River and has picnic and barbecue facilities and a children’s playground
- Tewantin National Park, just a few minutes out of town, is easily accessible and has walking, bike riding and horse riding trails
- Just 10 minutes out of town, in Tewantin National Park is Mt Tinbeerwah (265m above sea level), with a sealed track to the lookout, suitable for assisted wheelchair and stroller access. See views across the Noosa hinterland, lakes system and to the ocean
- Try abseiling down Mt Tinbeerwah with a professional guide
View Larger Map